Then I tested the crossing with a pair of sticks that I had found during the hike as I was pleasantly surprised that the ford only went as high as thigh deep. However, the current on the river was strong and it kept wanting to push every one of my steps (especially the sticks) in the downstream direction.
So with that test, I ultimately decided that when I got back to my belongings, I would wear the backpack but leave the pants (not wanting to soak them). And I had put them on a branch in the tree so I would at least be able to visually see it when I would return.
And with that, I made the crossing slowly and deliberately to ensure that I wouldn’t fall over and wet the things I didn’t want to get wet. However, when I got to the other side of the river, I noticed that there was no trail and it was a straight bushwhack into the thickness of vegetation. Without pants, I realized that I probably should have just let the pants get wet because I wasn’t sure if my bare skin was now brushing up against poison oak or other stinging plants.
Moreover, I was already feeling welts from mosquitoes as well as painful bites from horseflies. So that was definitely one decision I was regretting right off the bat by doing this bushwhack in my underwear…
- Day 13 (August 2, 2020 – Waipti, Wyoming): “Chilled Out Yellowstone”
- Day 14 (August 3, 2020 – Gardiner, Montana): “Another Spontaneous Family Day”
- Day 15 (August 4, 2020 – Gardiner, Montana): “Different Recollections”
- Day 16 (August 5, 2020 – Gardiner, Montana): “Lone Wolf”
- Day 17 (August 6, 2020 – Jackson, Wyoming): “Blue MIst”
- Day 18 (August 7, 2020 – Jackson, Wyoming): “The Wind River Detour”
- Day 19 (August 8, 2020 – Salt Lake City, Utah): “Uncertainty of Outcome”
- Day 20 (August 9, 2020 – Salt Lake City, Utah): “Into The Donut Hole”
- Day 21 (August 10, 2020 – Las Vegas, Nevada): “Unpleasant Surprises”
- Day 22 (August 11, 2020 – Las Vegas, Nevada): “Tempered Expectations”
- Day 23 (August 12, 2020 – Los Angeles, California): “The Non-Ideal Return”